Re: [DDEB] Status on automatic debug packages (2015-08-24)

Dnia 2015-08-25, wto o godzinie 13:41 +0000, Jean-Michel Vourgère
pisze:
> Hi
>
> Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> > On Aug 24 2015, Sebastian Ramacher <sramacher@debian.org> wrote:
> > > What's the plan for python(3)-*-dbg packages that include both
> > > Python extensions
> > > built for the python-dbg interpreter and debug symbols? Should
> > > they also change
> > > their Section to something else?
> >

> > .. and will they also be build automatically? Or rather, when
> > relying on
> > the automatic building, will they include the extension for the
> > debug
> > interpreter or just the debugging symbols for all extensions (built
> > for
> > debugging and regular interpreter)?
>
> The question is also valid for python2:
>
> When using dh --with python2 *and* build-depending on python-all-dbg,
> I'm getting [1]:
> * Some files like /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/*.debug
> * Some files like
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/rrdtool.x86_64-linux-gnu_d.so
>
> Am I correct in assuming that this need to be split?
> * Each arch:any binary package will get its own -dbgsym package, like
> python-rrdtool-dbgsym_1.5.4-6_amd64.deb,
> lua-rrd-dbgsym_1.5.4-6_amd64.deb, ...
> * The python debug $(arch)_d.so generated by dh_auto_build will need
> its
> own package. (See questions of Nikolaus and Sebastian).
>
> The main question is whether or not these -dbgsym package is only of
> debug symbols.
>

> Assuming this is split, should one make a recommends: towards these
> non-main packages?
>

> Finally, if the current -dbg packages are moved out of main, either
> the
> buildd's will need to have them in their source list, or the section
> of
> the python tools to generate the debug _d.so thingies need to be
> changed.
>
> [1] https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/rrdtool-dbg/filelist

Test on current sid, trying to PyOpenCL with pybuild and debug symbols.
Current version of package has *-dbg entries for both Python 2 and Python 3,
and thanks for pybuild there is no need for code dealing with those in d/control.

I added DH_BUILD_DDEBS = 1 to d/rules, changed dh_strip to use
--ddeb-migration and not -dbg-package, and removed *-dbg from d/control.
After building I got python-pyopencl{3}-dbgsym*.dbg.
Those packages contained only /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/*.debug files,
without /usr/lib/python*/dist-packages/*.so.

Is there something missing?
Files *.so with debugging symbols are built (there are lines
PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python2-dbg=debian/python-pyopencl-dbg/ in d/rules)
so IMO it's (just?) case of adding those to *-dggsym.deb files.

Best regards.

--
Tomasz Rybak  GPG/PGP key ID: 2AD5 9860
Fingerprint A481 824E 7DD3 9C0E C40A  488E C654 FB33 2AD5 9860