Re: DAK Commands for Bikesheds

* Neil Williams: " Re: DAK Commands for Bikesheds" (Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:44:11
  +0100):

> On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:20:21 +0100
> Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 04:39:43PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> > > +++ Raphael Hertzog [2015-09-17 14:41 +0200]:

> > > It wasn't supposed to be a joke. Bikeshed is an appropriate name, in
> > > the unix tradition of mildly amusing/punny names.
> >
> > On the other hand, neither this thread nor any other d-d thread
> > that I can find explains what the feature is... so to those who
> > weren't aware of the name already, it doesn't mean anything :)
>
> There is a strong British tradition, exported to a range of other
> countries, of engineers toiling away in garden sheds, inventing stuff -
> be it cars, engines, radios, metalwork, carpentry ... anything someone
> can produce which requires only heating, lighting, power and time. It's
> quite natural that toiling away in your own little packaging world for
> Debian would happen in a software shed - and in software, there's only
> really one kind of shed, the bikeshed.

Thanks, that explains the term quite well for people like me not being familiar
at all with the meaning. I understand now, that the term sounds funny for people
knowing that tradition, for me it was quite incomprehensible and not intuitive.
Searching on the web revealed indeed 'bike sheds' as in 'Outdoor Portable
Garage Shed'. I think other people could be in the same position and just not
get the idea what the feature inside Debian shall mean.

I think that a more general and descriptive name like the proposed
"(Special|Developer|Custom) Package (Repository|Archive)" would be more helpful
for quite a number of users, including me.

--

    Mathias Behrle
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6