Re: version format for git snapshot

On 09/14/2015 07:51 AM, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my upstream tagged 0.4 a year ago and I want to package the current master
> commit a5e5f9e that is 24 commits after 0.4. Please assume that this makes
> sense...
>
> How would you format the upstream part of the packages version number? How
> about 0.4+24+git+a5e5f9e?
>
> The git describe output is v0.4-24-ga5e5f9e.
>
> Is there any established best practice?
>
> Have a nice week,
>
> Thomas Koch

git describe is your friend indeed! :)

What I do may be a bit over-engineered:
1.2.3+2015.06.16.git26.9634b76ba5

which of course is:
upstream.release+date.gitnumcommits.sha256

It'd be nice if we could all do the same thing. Not saying that my
version is the best (I wouldn't mind changing for another format), but
having standards is good.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)