Re: version format for git snapshot

Hi Thomas,

Quoting Thomas Koch (2015-09-14 07:51:09)
> my upstream tagged 0.4 a year ago and I want to package the current
> master commit a5e5f9e that is 24 commits after 0.4. Please assume that
> this makes sense...
>
> How would you format the upstream part of the packages version number?
> How about 0.4+24+git+a5e5f9e?
>
> The git describe output is v0.4-24-ga5e5f9e.
>
> Is there any established best practice?

I'd use a single "+", mention revision control system first, and include
date¹ of latest commit in snapshot (rather than number of commits from
release - another later snapshot may not be linear progress but from
another shorter branch, and therefore a lower number).  And then I'd use
only 7 digits of hash as that's common short-form in git.

Therefore, I'd use this: 0.4+git20150911~ga5e5f9

 - Jonas

¹ In the rare event of making more snapshots same day I'd add a counter
for my clumsiness - i.e. 0.4+git20150911.1~ga5e5f9