Re: [CTTE #741573] Debian Menu System

On Sat, 05 Sep 2015, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> > [...]
> > >    2. In addition to those changes, the Technical Committee resolves
> > >       that packages providing a .desktop file shall not also provide a
> > >       menu file for the same application.
> >
> > That's good idea in general.  I hope lintian warning should come soon.
> >
> > This reminds me some DE dependent .desktop file.  Is there any best
> > practice how to do it for Debian?  KDE app not showing up on GNOME and
> > vice versa.  How to decide how much .desktop data are NotShowIn for what
> > environment?
>
> In general: Do not use NotShowIn/OnlyShowIn for most applications.
> There are only a few areas where it is actually useful, and this is almost
> exclusively configuration tools specific to one desktop environment.

Maybe not even then:  I certainly had to call some of the GNOME config tools
in the past even when running KDE, as it also configures application/toolkit
behavior.  I did it from the command-line, though, so I do not recall if
they did show on KDE's menus or not.

Use of these directives really requires careful though about the
implications.  IMO, any use at all of NotShowIn/OnlyShowIn should be a
lintian warning.

I'd even call for it to be a lintian error that must be overriden in a
case-by-case basis only after discussion in a relevant Debian ML, but this
hides potential issues when abused, so it might not be a good idea.

  Henrique Holschuh