Re: The Spirit of Free Software, or The Reality

Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> writes:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 10:52:33AM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
>> > Distributing them to Debian recipients makes the implicit promise that
>> > they are free by the DFSG, or that they should be removed from Debian if
>> > that's discovered to be untrue.
>>
>> Can't we just put non-free logos to non-free? In main they could be
>> replaced by either a simple png with the name in it (someone provided an
>> example how to create them) or by something created by a designer from
>> scratch.
>>
>> The use of non-free icons if IMO a perfect use case for non-free.
> ... and also yet another case when to make their life comfortable one
> should enable non-free.

For the logos in non-free, I feel that the discussion a bit academic: I
don't see why our freedom is factically limited by not being allowed to
patch the logos. We are still allowed to create new ones if we feel that
they don't fit. The main idea of non-free is to have such a pragmatic
approach here.

And the "put the non-free logos into non-free" solution would fit into
the do-it-yourself pragmatic of Debian: If you feel that there should be
a free alternative, just create one. When an alternative icon is good
enough that people will switch, then non-free is not needed anymore. Or
convince the copyright owner to make the logos free. I see no real point
in a heated discussion then.

Cheers

Ole