Re: The Spirit of Free Software, or The Reality

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 7:53 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I have also made the point that we make an exception for licence
> texts.  Obviously the situations aren't entirely parallel, but this
> demonstrates that the absolutist position you are arguing for is both
> contrary to our existing practice, and impractical.  If you are saying
> that this principle of modifiability is entirely absolute and we have
> to make no exceptions at all at all at all, you have to address that
> point too.

Without these non-modifiable license texts there would be basically no
Debian at all as the license texts are what makes the rest of a
package containing them DFSG-free. So basically this exception is one
we don't have a real choice in. This isn't the case for icons, which
are could be removed or disabled without anywhere near as much effect.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise