Re: debian github organization ?

On 16 Apr 2015 12:05 pm, "Sven Bartscher" <sven.bartscher@weltraumschlangen.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 09:04:07 -0600
> Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I'd rather see gitlab.debian.net :)
>
> I don't  a reason to have gitlab/github/someother git stuff for debian,
> since we already have alioth.
> Maybe someone can enlighten me.

In no particular order:
* merge proposals / code review. Mailing lists suck for this. And these webby tools usually support email based workflow as well (to some degree)
* no approval required to create/fork projects, teams, source trees (there are namespaces)
* syntax highlighted or rendered code browsing
* familiar user interface / concepts for most developers
* no arbitrary hooks, no direct file access to repositories, no repository maintainance for repository owner. (These are all good things)
* restful API triggers to update things instead

We are at the tipping point were more of active developers used git and e.g. github; than svn and source forge monsters.

My first VCS was git & repo.cz later quickly gitorious & github.

Regards,

Dimitri.