Re: Minified javascripts in packages

Jérémy Lal <kapouer@melix.org> writes:

>> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

>>> As I have seen instances where the JavaScript was built by web
>>> services, I'd say the real world is much too complicated to even agree
>>> on that.
>>
>> I presume that we can agree that, if someone started offering a web
>> service compiling C code with output an order of magnitude better in
>> every dimension than gcc can achieve, we still wouldn't use it for our
>> binaries (at least not unless it were available as free software that we
>> could host ourselves).  What makes JavaScript worthy of special treatment?
>>
>> Is it not the case that the JavaScript minification that started this
>> thread is just an optimisation?  Surely the source would work fine
>> without minification?
>
> Do not forget concatenation of many files to a single lib.
> Not doing that can result in the client having many many files to load,
> and that's way more unacceptable than without minification.

Is the fixed license version of JSHint somehow stuck in limbo?

Is grunt really dependant on JSHint?

Is JSHint required for concatenation and/or minification?

The current situation with reliance on non-free build tools certainly
seems unacceptable to me, so if those tools are _really_ required to
produce useful performance then the software probably shouldn't be in
Debian until one of these things changes.

Cheers, Phil.