Re: moving to multiarch for packages with plugins

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:49:50 +0100
Dennis van Dok <dennisvd@nikhef.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm maintaining a framework package (lcmaps) with several plugins that
> traditionally install under /usr/lib/lcmaps. With the move to
> debhelper 9, the default for dh_auto_configure is to pass
> --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu which changes the plugin path.
>
> This is not a big deal except that the plugins are not in a single
> source package. Once we update the framework package, all the plugin
> packages need to update as well.
>
> The way to solve this would be by adding certain dependencies. If the
> version of the framework that introduces multiarch is x, the plugins
> would have to include
>
> Depends: liblcmaps0 (>= x)
>
> once they update to multiarch.
>
> It's harder to reversely state that the new framework conflicts with
> older plugin packages: they would all have to be listed in the control
> file, and then only the known ones could be listed (it's not
> inconceivable other parties made their own outside of Debian).

Create a meta package which all plugins provide, before making the
change to multiarch. Conflict with (or add Breaks depending on how you
wnat to do it) for the relevant version of that metapackage in the
versions which implement multiarch.

Document in the current version that third-party plugins must Provide:
this metapackage for future support to work.

--

Neil Williams