Re: motd handling in jessie

Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> writes:

> One more (set of) shell scripts spawned at boot time adds incremental
> complexity, fragility, and yes, a small amount of delay.  It might not
> matter much if you're spending 60 seconds booting a server; on the other
> hand, with client boot times currently at a few seconds without any
> optimization, <1s with a little work, and hopefully heading even lower,
> spawning off even one more instance of /bin/sh than needed (along with
> miscellaneous other programs invoked from a shell script) seems worth
> avoiding.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this, since I must
admit that my reaction to the above analysis is basically eye-rolling.  :)
Forking off a uname -a in parallel to the rest of what's going on during
boot is not going to be noticable.  I think you are doing quite a lot of
premature optimization here.

> Sorry, in my response to your question, I thought you were talking about
> sshd's current Debian default to use PAM and to display the motd through
> pam_motd, which it does do even for non-password login.  I have not
> tested pam_issue with sshd.

Ah, no, I was responding specifically to your suggestion to replace
pam_motd with pam_issue.  Unless that module does something different than
what its man page says it does, I don't believe this is possible.