Re: motd handling in jessie

Am 25.01.2015 um 20:19 schrieb Russ Allbery:
> Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> writes:
>
>> But not the Debian default.  Debian defaults to "UsePAM yes" and
>> "PrintMotd no", and uses PAM to print the motd.
>
> Right, which I think is a bad idea, for the reasons stated earlier in this
> thread.  :)  I think the way to go here is to use the update-motd.d stuff
> to generate an MOTD file at boot

Why run this on every boot?

If the update-motd.d interface is supposed to also show information like
list of outdated packages, etc, wouldn't some other mechanism to trigger
an update, be better.

I suggested a cron job, but maybe there are better ways, like apt hooks,
dpkg triggers, etc.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?