Re: motd handling in jessie & beyond

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 04:16:44PM +0200, Faidon Liambotis wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 07:08:22PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 04:20:36PM +0200, Faidon Liambotis wrote:
> > > c) base-files shipping /etc/update-motd.d, plus a script:
> > >    00-uname: #!/bin/sh\nuname -snrvm\n
> >
> > Could you please choose another package? debianutils comes to mind.
> > Currently, base-files has no binaries at all, and I'd like to keep
> > it that way.
>
> What is your concern with shipping a simple executable shell script?
>
> base-files was suggested because it's the package that currently ships
> our default static motd text.  While I don't personally have a
> preference on the place that uname call should be (if anywhere!), I do
> think that keeping all of Debian's motd default contents -whether a
> static blob of text or dynamic scripts- in one place would make the most
> sense.

AFAIK, base-files has never had any binaries in it, ever. It's called
base-*files* for a good reason. I'm happy to keep the default motd if
it's useful, but if people insist that the code to handle motd should
be in the same package as the default motd, then please take out the
default from base-files as well.