Re: The sixth field (fs_passno) should be zero

Hey.

Well the consensus over at linux-btrfs list seems to be:
1) right now it's not yet stable enough (has false positives, etc.)
2) it's very slow
3) btrfs should detect errors by itsel

and thus the suggestion tends towards "don't run it at boot".

(1) should hopefulle be resolved sooner or later

(2) Obviously, as it is now, btrfs check checks always (i.e. no mount
count or last check time as in ext*)... this is of course overkill. But
it shouldn't be impossible to have something similar for btrfs.
And apart from that... I really maintain a lot of storage (>2PiB) and
even though it takes quite a while to run e2fsck at boot, I'm rather
happy to spend that time every half a year or so, than possibly running
into data loss (and we regularly see small errors on our ext4
filesystems, even though there were no crashes, or the journal should
have corrected them).

(3) Apparently btrfsck does much more in depth checks than the kernel
driver would do itself... and I'm sure many admin will rather require
the extra time a full check could require at boot to find at least the
slightest hints of problems, before such would pile up and may later
cause serious problems.

That being said... I still agree that one shouldn't include unnecessary
stuff in the initramfs image, and ideally even not to run dummy-
wrappers.
But how much time is lost for running that? I doubt it's half a second.
That may be important to get rid of when one wants to tune the desktop
to the fastest boot ever (which I think is pretty pointless either),...
but is completely irrelevant for every server system.
I don't think one should remove facilities to have e.g. btrfs checked
at boot, in the expectation that sooner or later btrfsck will be stable
and that there are people wo rather want to have it run than not.

Cheers,
Chris