Re: An abrupt End to Debian Live

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> FWIW, while I helped the vmdebootstrap folks at the recent Cambridge
> sprint with getting UEFI support in place, it was something of a
> surprise to me to hear that their tool would be called "live-build-ng".
> This seems pretty over the top to me and I was expecting it to be called
> vmdebootstrap-live or something like that; at the very least, calling
> something "-ng" seems like it sets pretty high expectations.

I only briefly read the bug report:

https://bugs.debian.org/804315

It sounds like an email on the lines of "this is what we are working on;
this is what we intend to call it" might have been a good idea when they
started. So it doesn't come as a complete surprise when it happens.

Isn't that one of the reasons we have ITPs?

Also I assume there is a good reason why they felt they had to start a
new project as opposed to contributing changes to the existing project?
Sure maybe a rewrite in Python was a good thing, I can't comment on this
aspect.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>