Re: Decreasing packaging overhead

At Sun, 1 Nov 2015 12:33:19 -0800,
Josh Triplett wrote:

> Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > But good luck to teach good practices upstream. See Ross's reply: 120
> > packages are depending on this.
>
> It's more than that.  Given tooling that doesn't have excessive overhead
> for small packages, why call such packages "bad practices" in the first
> place?

The total amount of lines of all the files in the git repository is
161, there are 5 lines of code, so the overhead 3220%. Or if you want
to measure in bytes, total files are 4515 bytes and index.js is 150
bytes which results in an overhead of 3010%. In my opinion that is
excessive overhead.

And that's just the overhead in bits. This package probably won't need
any changes in the future, but packages with a few more lines of code
might. What happens when the maintainer goes MIA and something needs
to be fixed? Do we then get forks of libraries that have only 30 lines
of code, everybody has to update their dependencies to get the fixed
version, etc.? That is also overhead you wouldn't have with a standard
library maintained by a group of developers.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Dekkers