Re: Defaulting to i686 for the Debian i386 architecture

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015, Iustin Pop wrote:
> Anyway, what I mean to say: thanks for finally motivating me to upgrade.
> This move definitely makes sense, but I wouldn't be so sure that there
> are no actual production systems running on a 586-only CPU.

As another data point, I have a customer which uses Debian on Vortex86
based CPU and they are actually selling small embedded computers based on
this CPU to various manufacturers (for production monitoring purpose).

So there are current use cases where 586 support is still required. That
said I'm not opposing the change as we have 5 years of jessie lifetime
left and in this kind of usage, it's really stable that matters. And in 5
years, DM&P (the vortex cpu manufacturer) will probably have upgraded
its CPU.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer