Re: Defaulting to i686 for the Debian i386 architecture

On 2015-09-28 22:14:44, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> We propose to drop support for i386 processors older than 686-class in
> the current release cycle.  This would include folding libc6-i686 into
> libc6, changing the default target for gcc, and changing the 586 kernel
> flavour to 686 (non-PAE).
>
> Since the 686-class, introduced with the Pentium Pro, is now almost 20
> years old, we believe there are few Debian systems still running that
> have 586-class or hybrid processors.

Not true! My trusty soekris 5501 has an AMD Geode LX, which (AFAIK) is
still only i586. It seems it is missing one instruction (NOPL) from
being a full 686 chip :)

Anyway, what I mean to say: thanks for finally motivating me to upgrade.
This move definitely makes sense, but I wouldn't be so sure that there
are no actual production systems running on a 586-only CPU.

And thanks for your work!

iustin