Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project (was: debian github organization ?)

On Apr 22, 2015, at 01:25 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

>Rather, this is the Debian project considering our own instance of a
>first-class Git hosting platform.

I guess this would mean being able to use the Debian GitLab instance for
package development, rather than say Alioth?  For straight-up hosting of
packages already converted to git, with merge requests, I think this could be
a big win.  Once e.g. the Python team completes the move to git, I'd love to
use features from GitLab to maintain our packages.  (I'm a fan of GitLab,
using it to host my own upstreams, as well as GNU Mailman 3.)

What about some of the other GitLab features though?  Presumably we wouldn't
want issues to replace BTS.  Also, how would we handle membership for things
like team-maintained packages?

Thanks Sytse for the generous offer.

Cheers,
-Barry