Re: Defaulting to i686 for the Debian i386 architecture

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
        Since the 686-class, introduced with the Pentium Pro, is now almost 20
        years old, we believe there are few Debian systems still running that
        have 586-class or hybrid processors.  The only such processors
        apparently still available for sale are the DM&P Vortex86 family, Intel
        Quark and Xeon Phi, of which we currently only support the Vortex86.

I don’t know whether we currently have the ability to run standard x86
binaries on the Xeon Phi coprocessors, but it definitely sounds like
something we should try to obtain, not to prevent. Otherwise we’ll end
up with yet another half-assed, unmaintainable way to build specific
binaries for HPC.

--
Joss