Re: is the whole unstable still broken by gcc-5?

Le 12/09/2015 22:37, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
> On 09/12/2015 08:55 PM, Виталий Филиппов wrote:
>> Can you please tell when everything will be fixed i.e. when all packages
>> will be rebuilt with newer gcc? And can you please NOT upload such
>> "breaking updates" in the future before testing everything that's broken
>> in experimental?.. Because the thing I always liked in Debian was that
>> "debian unstable" was always more stable than "ubuntu stable", and such
>> breakages dent my confidence in the stability of Debian...
>
> Like it or not, transitions are done in Unstable. It's called unstable
> for this very reason. If you don't want to suffer with them, then
> testing is for you.

Not always an option.
In this case (gcc5 transition), some packages have been removed from
testing in order to allow the global transition. If a user do not
want this package to be removed, it becomes really difficult.

For my case, I had to:
- recompile digikam (removed from testing, and I really want to keep
  it). It is relatively easy (the patch is in the BTS !). I did not
  make an official NMU as I do not want to be responsible for this
  big package. I suspect that help would be very welcome...
- recompile kicad. Here again, I really need to keep this software.
  According to the BTS, the version in unstable has no documented
  way to avoid the FTBFS, but new upstream has. So I recompiled
  the one taken from an Ubuntu PPA. Here, the modifications (new
  upstream version) are too big for an official NMU.

Both packages are on my private repo, in case some want to use them.
deb http://people.debian.org/~vdanjean/debian unstable main
  And I suspect they will be fixed as soon as their maintainer find
some free time (the fixes seem easy).

  With these two rebuilds, I succeeded in the gcc5 transition, keeping
all software I really want to keep (I recall that there have been other
removed packages but I did not really use them so I accepted their
removal).

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA