Re: version format for git snapshot

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:46:10AM +0200, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> > I wouldn't put the commit identifier in the package version at all.  It
> > isn't sortable, so clearly doesn't belong in a version string; it can be
> > documented in the changelog instead.  I'd put a date in the version.
>
> The problem with date is searching in git log is difficult.

You can still add the commit ID to the changelog as plain text for your
later convenience when searching git log.  That doesn't imply putting it
in the version string, which (depending on how it's done) is either a
non-sortable obstacle or simply cruft.

Version numbers don't need to contain essays on the provenance of the
code.

> This is what I generally do: last release + "git" + ISO 8601 date and time
> + 10-char substring of the commit id. I. e:
>
> 0.5+git20150531T211420-cdd9d98f2c-1

IME it is in fact useful to have version numbers that stand a chance of
fitting in people's short-term memory.