Re: GNU IceCat?

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Simon Josefsson writes ("Re: GNU IceCat?"):
>> What's a good way to do that efficiently?   People have submitted bugs
>> against Iceweasel to do some of the things that IceCat does by default,
>> for example https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=654336
>
> Well, a good start would be to turn bugs
>   Severity: wishlist
> into bugs
>   Severity: wishlist
>   Tags: patch
> ?
>
> I'm not surprised that the Iceweasel team don't have much time for
> anything which isn't strictly essential.  A well-tested and maintained
> and maintainable patch would make it more feasible.

Agreed -- part of what I'm trying to understand, though, is whether the
Iceweasel team considers this a relevant direction to go into?  The
https://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel suggests it strives to be close to
what Firefox is, however that was written almost 10 years ago I'm not
sure whether it is still true.

>> The normal approach in that situation is to also package the fork of
>> the projects to give users a choice, similar to what's done with
>> MariaDB/MySQL.
>
> I don't think this is a good engineering solution for a situation
> where what we're talking about is essentially different configuration,
> rather than a different codebase.

I don't think that is what we are talking about -- there appears to be
more to IceCat than configuration.

I agree that the differences between IceCat and Iceweasel are small, and
it is quite far away of resembling the MariaDB/MySQL situation, however,
at some point separate packaging will become relevant.  We are obviously
not there yet.

> If you do find that the Iceweasel maintainers are not interested
> enough in your goals, then a better engineering solution might be an
> overlay package which overrides some of the configuration defaults.
>
> (If there is currently no good mechanism for such an overlay package,
> that is a generically useful thing which I would expect both Debian's
> Iceweasel people and indeed upstream Mozilla to welcome.)

I don't see how such a mechanism would work, but if it was possible that
would be nice.

/Simon