Re: the status of gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad

Hi Vincent,

> which is unacceptable from a security and stability point of view.

do you conclude this from the package description?

> One problem is that if this package is installed, then Iceweasel
> automatically uses these plugins (even when not needed, currently
> making it crash[*]), with apparently no way to disable them. IMHO,
> either there should be a way to disable them for some applications,
> or this package shouldn't be in dependencies.

I can confirm the crashes with the package in unstable. However, please
note that gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad is entangled into many simultaneous
transitions at the moment. I guess a simple rebuild in a clean
environment could already help to fix it (fwiw, the package in testing
is build from the same source version and does not crash).

If it helps, a new upstream snapshot has just arrived in experimental
and using this, the crashes disappeared.

 - Fabian