Re: Replacing ldconfig maintscripts with declarative methods

On 2015-08-25 15:12, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Niels Thykier writes ("Replacing ldconfig maintscripts with declarative methods"):
>> A possible solution is to replace these scripts with an
>> "activate-no-await" trigger (again, no-await to avoid trigger cycles).
>> I would need libc-bin to promote its trigger to part of its API for this
>> to work.
>
> I think this is a good idea.

Thanks. :)

Also thanks for the feedback - It is not the easiest subject in Debian
packaging, so I am glad to have an extra set of eyes on it. :)

>>  * The major concern I have, is that "activate"-triggers are done for
>>    - unpack (is this ok?)
>
> It had better be !  (Ie I think it is OK.)

Indeed, I had a hard time finding a case where that could not already
have happen by "accident" (at least before ldconfig started using
triggers internally).

>>  * Performance-wise we would see up to 5 calls to ldconfig instead of
>>    1-2 per "dpkg run" (that processes triggers).
>
> OTOH the reduced number of maintscript invocations might well outweigh
> that.
>
> Thanks,
> Ian.

One could hope. :)

I will wait a couple of days more for feedback before starting on this.

Thanks,
~Niels