Re: git interface to snapshot.debian.org

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 25.08.2015, 13:59 +0100 schrieb Ian Jackson:
> > If the answer is „Nothing is stopping, just that someone has to do it“,
> > then I’m volunteering, as long as I can do most of it during DebConf.
>
> There are two problems that are stopping us doing this right away:
>
>   - Maybe the amount of data is too big to suddenly dump in the dgit
>     git server (we should talk to DSA)

as mentioned I created a proof-of-concept bash script, and for example
the (git gc’ed) repository of all history of ghc is 137MB. screen
-message, as an example for a small package, amounts to 572KB. Not sure
how to best extrapolate that, though.

> > >    - Parents: This is the interesting bit
> > >      The set of parents should be the commits corresponding to any
> > >      version mentioned in debian/changelog, pruned by those that
> > >      are transitively reachable.
> >
> > Nice idea.

At least for GHC, which had independently running branches in unstable
and experimental for a while, with occasional merges from unstable to
experimental, this worked fine.

I guess dgit by itself does not do anything like that, but rather
expects the right ancestry to come out of the „normal“ git use of the
maintianer.

Anyways, I postponed this project for now; too much other things going
on. I might get back to it in the future. In that case, I would
probably first try to get nice git repositories from all of
snapshot.d.o, independent of dgit. Once we have that, one can see if
and how that is best integrated with dgit.

(If you or someone else beats me to it: Even better :-))

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner