Re: Raising the severity of reproduciblity issues to "important"

Hi.

Chris Lamb <lamby@debian.org> writes:

> Hi -devel,
>
> The reproducible-builds team are currently contributing patches with
> "wishlist" severity.
>
> This is because it is not currently possible to build reproducible
> packages within sid itself - we maintain a separate repository whilst
> our changes to the toolchain are pending review and consultation.
>
> Filing these bugs with a higher severity -- which would require
> developers to use this repository to fully test any modifications --
> would be unacceptable.
>
> However, based on an informal survey at DebConf (and to reflect the
> feeling towards software reproducibility in the free software community
> in general) unless there are strong objections I intend to raise the
> severity of these wishlist issues to "important" once the toolchain
> changes to dpkg and debhelper land in sid.

For the records, I guess the recording of the conference [0] about
reproducibility at Debconf 15 should be a must watch :

http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2015/debconf15/Stretching_out_for_trustworthy_reproducible_builds_creating_bit_by_bit_identical_binaries.webm

My 2 cents,

Best regards,

P.S.: many thanks for this important work !

[0] https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/meeting/353/stretching-out-for-trustworthy-reproducible-builds-creating-bit-by-bit-identical-binaries/
--
Olivier BERGER
http://www-public.telecom-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/ - OpenPGP-Id: 2048R/5819D7E8