Re: gfortran: handling binNMU for .mod file format change

Hi,

I had a look at your dh-fortran-mod package, and am quite sorry I missed
this until now :-/

I assume this is meant for ${misc:Depends} in the -dev package, right?

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 06:44:50PM +0100, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> Le dimanche 11 août 2013 à 11:11 +0900, Ryo IGARASHI a écrit :
> > >From my limited understanding of debian packaging, I have to write a
> > debhelper script (say: dh_fortran_mod) which add the correct virtual
> > dependencies of Fortran mod file to ${misc:depends}.
> >
> > Is this the correct way to proceed?
>
> I think this goes in the right direction. Did you make any progress on
> this?
>
> More specifically, I think that dh_fortran_mod should do the following:
>
> - it would read a file debian/[package.]fortran-mod, which would contain
> a list of mod files created by gfortran and to be installed into binary
> packages

I was caught off-guard that I needed to list the *.mod files in
debian/<packages>.fortran-mod.

Can you explain why it cannot just scan debian/tmp (or rather
tmpdir($package)) I guess for .mod files recursively?  Probably /usr
would be enough.  Or is this following a general debhelper design
decision I am not familiar with?

> - it would also add the relevant virtual dependencies on
> gfortran-mod-<version> in ${misc:Depends}

OK, sounds good.

The only other question I have right now (and which we couldn't 100%
figure out at DebConf15), is whether Fortran90 (or even Fortran77)
applications break at run-time if the module version changes and/or the
created libraries are different depending on the fortran module version.
We thought it wasn't, but it's probably a good idea to make sure.

Michael

Michael