Re: Would anyone be interested in a Debian Haiku Project

jimmy@jimmysciacca.com dijo [Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 07:57:56AM -0400]:

> Hi all,
>
> Would anyone be interested in a Debian Haiku Project? For those who are
> unfamiliar with Haiku, Haiku http://haiku-os.org is a potentially great
> system (modeled after BeOS).
> (...)

Hi Jimmy,

First of all, I'd be among the most absolutely unsuitable people to
talk about the deep technical aspects of this port you propose... But
I'll bring some points.

First, AFAICT, Haiku does not fully implement POSIX (although it
improves from BeOS)¹. Second, I see the project strives not to depend
on "infectious-licensed" (GPL) code² (although it's not belligerant on
the issue³). Is GNU glibc supported?

If so, AFAICT, the basic building blocks for our non-Linux ports. The
next step is to get deeply familiar with the workings of your chosen
kernel, or to convince people who are to start bootstrapping the
port. Bootstrapping Debian is not an easy feat, but there are many
friendly and skilled people who can surely help you; I suggest you
follow the good guide written by Wookey for the Paris MiniDebConf on
the bootstrapping of ARM64⁴, and of course, the related Wiki page⁵.

Good luck!

¹ https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/pulkomandy/2015-06-30_haiku_monthly_activity_report_062015
² https://www.haiku-os.org/development/faq
³ https://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/making_haiku_free_softwarehttp://wookware.org/talks/arm64-parisminidebconf2014.pdfhttps://wiki.debian.org/DebianBootstrap