Re: Debian is not welcome on Microsoft Azure

On Sun, 2015-08-16 at 13:41 +1000, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
[...]
> I found it very disappointing that I had to defend Debian against Ubuntu
> which is stealing our audience by somehow arranging more favourable hosting
> conditions on Azure. I'm not talking about availability of OS images.
> According to "Information for Non-Endorsed Distributions" [1]
>
>     "The Azure platform SLA applies to virtual machines running the Linux OS
>      only when one of the endorsed distributions [2] is used".
>
> So naturally my client is concerned that by choosing Debian they won't have
> benefits of SLA like they would have if they choose Ubuntu because the latter
> is "endorsed".
[...]

No stable release of Debian includes the Hyper-V guest agents, which I
believe are strongly recommended.

They are now packaged in unstable (hyperv-daemons built from linux
-tools source), and could possible be backported to jessie if they are
that important.  However, I think some more work is needed to integrate
them properly.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
[W]e found...that it wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had thought.