Re: certificate creation in postinst, potentially using letsencrypt script

Quoting Daniel Pocock (2015-08-02 18:49:16)
> On 02/08/15 17:44, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
>> - Would be yet another location of privacy leak in Debian, where the
>> system automatically calls "home" to some more commercial than
>> community organisations.
>
> This would not be automatic.  It would at least have to prompt people,
> "do you want to configure your SSL web server manually or do you want
> this postinst script to help you?".  If people are running dpkg
> without showing questions of priority medium or low, it may leave SSL
> unconfigured for that package, so no privacy leak occurs.

I believe current logic of ssl-cert is to have services use self-signed
"Snakeoil" certificate if left to itself - not leave services with
broken¹ TLS configuration

Other than that I agree with both of you :-)

 - Jonas

¹ Yes, some may argue that use of self-signed certificate _is_ broken
but that's beside the point here: Some may argue same about any and all
debconf defaults, e.g. the hostname being "debian" :-P