Re: Metapackage dependencies: "Depends" or "Recommends"?

On Jul 28 2015, Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org> wrote:
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
>> Installation of a package from the 'metapackages' section does *not*
>> mark its dependencies as automatically installed.
>
> Really? So, if someone would install a metapackage (for a test), and
> then later uninstall it, its dependencies will remain on the system?
>
> Is there any simple way to remove them?

Use debfoster to keep track of automatically/manually installed
packages. I think it works much better than apt and aptitude.

The only think it doesn't yet do is that if

- a is automatically installed
- b is automatically installed
- c is manually installed and depends on a|b

Either a or b can be removed. But I don't think apt* handled that either.

Best,
-Nikolaus