Re: Metapackage dependencies: "Depends" or "Recommends"?

* Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> [150729 04:14]:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:51:02AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > > I'm sure this is personal taste, and in the end it won't matter for most
> > > people (except folks who don't install Recommends, but they're going to
> > > break their system regardless),
> >
> > I've had Recommends disabled for something like five years.  My systems
> > have yet to break.  :)
>
> And you did so because you are not a typical user of metapackages due to
> your deep insight into the packaging system and things you need.

Exactly.  The point is that if metapackages use Depends, advanced users
cannot use the metapackages in advanced ways.  For the naive user, using
Recommends gets the desired effect, but still allows the advanced user
to pick and choose.  No downside to Recommends, no upside to Depends.

...Marvin