Re: Adding support for LZIP to dpkg, using that instead of xz, archive wide

On 26/07/15 14:10, Antonio Diaz Diaz wrote:
> I am not here to "win", but to help people keep their data safe.
> Remember that I am also the author of GNU ddrescue (whose data recovery
> capabilities nicely complement those of lziprecover). Given that this is
> Debian, I have the hope that you may think of the public interest and
> eventually replace xz with lzip.

I'm sorry to say this, but being an author of GNU ddrescue is not a good
point here. I hate this situation when there are two tools doing a
similar job (dd_rescue and ddrescue), and almost the same name, and the
better one (to my opinion) is removed from Debian as creating confusion
to the users.

Why haven't you just fixed dd_rescue instead of creating one more tool?
Same with XZ vs LZIP, why haven't you talked to XZ people instead of
creating Just One More LZMA-based compressor?

--
Cheers,
  Andrew