Re: Debian books (Was: Bits from the DPL - July)

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 01:11:08PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 15/07/15 at 19:37 +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> > Press and articles
> > ------------------
> > Quite a bit of press and general Debian outreach in the last few weeks:
> > * Debian Jessie book preface [0]
> >
> > [0] http://www.linux-journalist.com/bucher/
>
> Given that there's now a Free (as in Software) Debian book[0], with a
> suitable translation infrastructure, I wonder if we shouldn't refrain
> from advertising or endorsing non-free alternatives, and rather
> encourage contributions to this initiative?

Well, I'm more of the view that I think the project would like to know
what the DPL has been up to, which may involve engaging with groups or
people who aren't using DFSG software. This also helps spread Debian and
free software more widely. (ie: I suspect that people who only use
entirely free software probably have an idea about what Debian is
already.)

Should any of the other alternatives wish me to write a foreword, I'll
be happy to do so and include it in my next bits mail :)

Neil