Re: RFC schema in package citadel

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 11:19:30AM +0000, Brian May wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jul 2015 at 20:50 Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org> wrote:

citadel always came with an LDAP schema file under openldap/rfc2739.schema
that says:

openldap comes with schemas that have similar licenses. If it is OK for
openldap, I think it should be fine here too.

Well, currently Lintian throws the same error for openldap's schemas, and I haven't quite reached a decision on what to do about it.

Of course Lintian just sees the RFC license in the file, and not the clarification that the material it covers was removed. So from that perspective I could agree with overriding the error and carrying on. I've also heard the opinion that since the copyrighted text was removed, then the copyright notice itself should also be removed, then there would be nothing for Lintian to complain about.

Personally, I agree with the rationale [1] for preserving the license statement, and would probably override the Lintian error based on that. However this has yet to pass the ftp-master oracle. :)

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=361846#121

thanks,
Ryan