Re: RFH: dropbear initramfs support

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 at 16:20:56 +0200, Christian Seiler wrote:
> On 06/27/2015 02:19 PM, Guilhem Moulin wrote:
>> Alright, that's it :-)  The changelog is pretty heavy because I also
>> lintian-cleaned and modernized (using dh_* tools) the packages, as well as
>> fixed most bugs:
>> [...]
>>    + Bring down interfaces and flush network configuration before existing
>>      the ramdisk, to avoid misconfigured network in the regular kernel.
>>      (Closes: #715048, #720987, #720988.)
>
> Having just read the debian-devel thread: isn't it dangerous to do
> that unconditionally?
>
> Sure, if you have a normal system then you want to down your network
> configuration for the aforementioned reasons, but if you additionally
> also have root on NFS or iSCSI or something similar, then this would
> break that. Also, dropbear didn't do that in the past, so this could
> be seen as a regression for those kinds of systems.

Sorry the changelog didn't mention that, but the ifdown script is
installed to ‘initramfs-tools/scripts/local-bottom’ hence, according to
initramfs-tools(8), is not run on NFS mounts.

> - activate the new feature by default (because that's probably the
>   majority use case, root on network is probably not commonly used
>   in this combination), but provide an option to switch it off

I used a config variable for it (‘DROPBEAR_IFDOWN’, default to ‘all’),
but I couldn't see any reason not to bring down the network on local
mounts so I removed it in the end.  If there is need for it I can always
bring it back, though.

--
Guilhem.