Re: Adding support for LZIP to dpkg, using that instead of xz, archive wide

On Monday, June 15, 2015 6:04:46 AM EEST, Guillem Jover wrote:
So the comparison does not seem entirely fair. And it seems to me to be
a matter of tradeoffs?

Since both lzip and xz are implementations of same LZMA algorithm, it seems lzip is just parametrized different. For some usecases, like plaintext mail logfiles it seems better - but there is probably other places were the tradeoff gives worse results.

I don't mind adding yet-another-compressor for source packages. But a really hope this doesn't come part of binary debs - it would be unnneccesary bloat to have dpkg depend on two different lzma implementations.

Riku