Re: ppp plugins and dependencies

Am 07.06.2015 um 12:26 schrieb Chris Boot:
> network-manager only has pppd as a Recommends despite shipping a pppd
> plugin.

Small correction: network-manager has a versioned Recommends and a
versioned Breaks against ppp.
This is deliberate, since network-manager does not strictly need ppp.
The versioned Breaks is there to ensure that breakage due to a new ppp
upstream version with changed plugin path does not go unnoticed.
Unfortunately it seems ppp changes its plugin dir with every new
upstream release.

network-manager-pptp is different, since this network-manager plugin
strictly requires ppp, so it uses a versioned Depends.

> I was also considering writing a debhelper plugin and/or dh_ppp_plugin
> script to help with calculating the correct dependencies at build time,
> so that packages can simply invoke the script at build-time and Do The
> Right Thing. It could also be used to obtain the correct plugin
> directory to install plugins into, which seems like it would be useful
> for network-manager-pptp among others. Does this sound like a useful
> addition?

Shipping a .pc file upstream to get the correct plugin directory (and
build flags) sounds like a useful addition.

The question I would ask myself, is if ppp has to break the ABI for its
plugins with each new upstream release? Is there actually an ABI break
in 2.4.7?

universe are pointed away from Earth?