Re: Invoking ‘init’ from an init.d script (Wheezy)

On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 17:26:21 +0200
Alexander Thomas <alexander.thomas+ddml@esaturnus.com> wrote:

[...]
> The long story:
>
> We have a setup with multiple servers (running Wheezy). When booting,
> the servers check whether updates are available on a master server. If
> available, they are pulled in through a dist-upgrade. This
> check/update needs to happen before any of the normal services are
> started, to avoid the need of taking down everything and then starting
> it back up after the update.
[...]

Wouldn't it be simpler to implement this check and update using
initramfs hooks?  You could bind-mount /dev, /sys and /proc to
the root filesystem, chroot there and run there a script which would
check for updates, apply them, if any, and exit.  After that the system
would just resume booting.