Re: RFH: dropbear initramfs support

Hi Gerrit,

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 at 20:29:41 +0000, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> Generally I'm with upstream who wrote in bug#692932:
>> As Dropbear upstream I'm keen to see this fixed. Given how
>> many Debian Dropbear bugs are in the initramfs portion,
>> perhaps the initramfs setup of Dropbear should go into its
>> own package for people who want it?
>
> So here again my call for help, or better a new maintainer for the
> initramfs functionality, prabably in a separate package.  I'd be happy
> to split this out.

I rely heavily on that feature on many of my machines, and I see (quite
late, sorry for that) that it's now in need of love ;-)  I have now
started to fix some of the initramfs-related bugs, and would be happy to
take over the maintenance of the new package should you split it out.
(Which IMHO makes sense, as I don't think many dropbear users use that
feature.)

However I'm am only a DM not a DD yet, so I would need a sponsor (at the
beginning at least).  I've also got a few questions regarding the new
package.

  - Should it be included in src:dropbear?
  - I guess it should be depending on dropbear.  However only the
    dropbear binary is interesting, not the configuration files or init
    scripts.  Is there a recommended way to proceed in that kind of
    situation?  (For instance “NO_START=1” in /etc/default/dropbear is
    probably only useful for people that put dropbear in the initramfs.)

Thanks for your work on the dropbear package.
Cheers,
--
Guilhem.