Re: git and https

On Fri, 29 May 2015 13:55:31 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:40 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> > I'm fine with locking the doors.  I'm not fine with paying protection
> > money to a Mafia goon who claims they'll lock your windows, and sort of
> > sometimes does.  It's the extortion component that pisses me off about
> > HTTPS.
>
> LetsEncrypt will save us!

I just looked that up. What a wonderful idea!

> > If we can use a Debian-specific CA, we can do cert pinning, since we're
> > then assuming we have some control over the client.  I was assuming a
> > general client where we'd have to play nice with the normal CA roots.
>
> Then we would constantly get complaints from Ubuntu/etc
> developers/users about why Debian uses invalid certs, as we did before
> Debian moved to mafia certs. Unfortunately I don't think it is
> possible to use both mafia CAs and non-mafia CAs without adding say a
> lot of non-mafia subdomains, like non-mafia.www.debian.org.

If having to manually add a CA annoys the Ubuntu developers that
much, then surely they could just include the Debian CA certificate to
Ubuntu's default?

Anyway, I don't see the point in using both mafia CAs and non-mafia
CAs. If you get the mafia CAs, you'll still be paying the extortion
money regardless of whether or not you use the non-mafia CAs.