Re: Proposal, a Build-Depends-Optional field

Hi,

Quoting Jakub Wilk (2015-05-25 16:00:39)
> But Helmut's approach only works if libfoo maintainer knows in advance
> the list of architectures where libfoo-dev will be built. It can't be
> applied if, say, libfoo build-depends on libbar-dev, and libbar-dev
> hasn't been built everywhere.

"hasn't been built" as in "the buildd's didn't get to building it for all
arches yet" or as in "libbar-dev is not Architecture:any"?

I'll assume the latter case for this email.

In case libbar-dev is not Architecture:any but carries a certain list of
architectures, src:libfoo which build-depends on libbar-dev will not be
Architecture:any itself but also carry a list of architectures equal to the
architectures for which libbar-dev is available, no?

The exception would be if libbar-dev is optional for src:libfoo in which case
libfoo-dev is built for all architectures and then there is no problem.

So why would the maintainer of src:libfoo not know in advance where their
source package will be built and would thus be unable to compile the correct
architecture list (either manually or using an approach similar to the one used
by Jonas in src:uwsgi)?

cheers, josch