Re: Copyright format License-Grant and License-Reference fields

[license grant and reference related after all: subject changed]

Quoting Jonas Smedegaard (2015-05-21 10:32:49)
> Quoting Ben Finney (2015-05-21 02:14:43)
>> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
>>
>>> Quoting Ben Finney (2015-05-20 08:46:44)
> […]
>> Perhaps an update to the copyright format can allow this information
>> to be captured in a standard machine-parseable way.
>
> Yes.  I believe the formally correct approach is to file a bugreport
> against debian-copyright.
>
> Will you do it?  I find you far better at phrasing things than me.
[…]
>> How about this::
>>
>>     Files: *
>>     Copyright: 2012-2014, Toby Inkster <tobyink@cpan.org>
>>     License: Artistic or GPL-1+
>>     License-Grant:
>>         This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>>         it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language
>>         system itself.
>>     Comment:
>>         Perl 5 is licensed under either the 'Artistic license' or the
>>         'GNU General Public License' version 1 or later.
>>
>> Would that field be a good addition to the copyright format
>> definition?
>
> Looks good to me.
>
> In fact, if nothing even more sensible emerge I will start using that
> pattern right now (format 1.0 permits undefined fields).

I now begun (starting with librdf-ldf-perl) to use this pattern:

> Files: debian/*
> Copyright: 2014, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
> License: GPL-3+
> License-Grant:
>  This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
>  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>  the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at
>  your option) any later version.
>  .
>  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
>  WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
>  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
>  General Public License for more details.
[…]
> License: GPL-3+
> Comment:
>  On Debian systems the 'GNU General Public License' version 3 is
>  located in '/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3'.

I.e. I've replaced my previous license-in-comment and comment-in-license
pseudo-fields with License-Grant and License-Reference fields.

I've filed related bug#786450 against lintian.

Does that pattern look sensible?

 - Jonas