Re: Copyright format “License” field: grant of license, license text?

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 04:46:44PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

>     Files: libquux/*
>     Copyright: […]
>     License: GPL-2 or CC-BY-SA-3
>         You may modify and/or redistribute this work under the terms of
>         either the GPL version 2 or later, or the Creative Commons
>         Attribution Share-Alike license version 3.
>
>     License: CC-BY-SA-3
>         THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS
>         CREATIVE COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE"). THE WORK
>         IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW.
>         […]
>
> That makes sense to me: we have the grant of license where it applies to
> the specific files, and we have the license text itself in a stand-alone
> paragraph.

FWIW, this is what I use for the perl package (which has one of the longer
copyright files), but it always felt a bit like stretching the rules.
I've seen the newish lintian warnings too but haven't gotten around to
doing anything about them yet.

The style reads well for humans but I can see it's not ideal for
machine parsing.

I'd love to have a "right" place for verbatim license grants.
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org