Re: Modern Debian packaging system for DevOps: does it exist?

On 05/19/2015 06:41 AM, Geert Stappers wrote:
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 01:19:44AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
On 05/13/2015 06:14 PM, ?????????? ?????????????? wrote:
At the moment we're trying to collect more information about existing
packaging systems. Our self-written scripts no longer meet our needs.
Now we have faced a choice: either we move our deployment process into
third-party packaging system (if we find the good one), or we get
involved into the development of own full-featured system.

I would like to put an emphasis on the most in-demand features:

1. Lightweight isolated environment (hardware virtualization is not
    suitable);
2. Git support;
3. RESTful API (in order to provide clear integration with git hooks
    that will launch build process);
4. Web interface;
5. Support for a different build backends (Debian default toolchain |
    CPack);
6. Binary package repository integration;
7. Package version control (support for builds from different branches,
    build number incrementation, keep changelog consistent, etc.);
8. Email notification;
9. Privacy (ability to deploy the system on the own facilities);

This looks like what I'm doing doing with openstack-pkg-tools. Have
a look inside it, and more precisely to pkgos-setup-sbuild, which is
capable of setting-up Jenkins. I'm open to contributions inside it.

And where to continue?

In other words:
I see two "project names", 'openstack-pkg-tools' and 'pkgos-setup-sbuild'.

openstack-pkg-tools is the name of the package, which you should grab either from Sid or from Jessie backports.

pkgos-setup-sbuild is the script which this package provides.

Those tools might cover my needs ( in my busy life ), so I want to check them out.

A websearch did bring me to https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/openstack-pkg-tools
and http://openstack.alioth.debian.org/

Is that the right direction to continue?

This page is there in order to help contributors to the OpenStack packaging. It indeed contains some directions, but it isn't just about the tool, it's more general about OpenStack packaging.

I hope this helps,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)