Re: Proposal: enable stateless persistant network interface names

Marvin Renich wrote:
> Yes, I use ifupdown and wpasupplicant.  Based on some of the threads on
> this list there are many people who love Network Manager and many who
> dislike it.  I am one of the ones who dislike it.  Given the fact that
> it is (or at least was recently) clearly controversial, choosing a path
> that relies on its use seems detrimental to me, regardless of whether it
> is the default or not.

I'm not suggesting that we mandate the use of NetworkManager in
particular.  I'm suggesting that it's fine to have a solution that
assumes the use of *some* modern network stack that doesn't inherently
care about interface names, at least by default.  (That doesn't make it
impossible to match on interface names for the cases where that's
appropriate; for instance, networkd lets you match on interface name
*or* MAC *or* a variety of other properties.)

In general, any new approach to networking should not be constrained by
the limitations of ifupdown, which is effectively in eternal maintenance
mode, and unlikely to ever gain the features current network management
tools already have.

All that said, I don't strongly care *which* policy we use, as long as
we use a policy that's actually supported upstream, which the current
MAC-based persistent naming is not.  Given that I'm in favor of
tools that don't care what you name the interfaces, I don't particularly
care what the interfaces end up named.

- Josh Triplett