Re: Bug #778876: linux-kbuild-3.19 missing from experimental

On 20 April 2015 at 23:47, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 07:15:53PM +0100, Nick Morrott wrote:
>> Bug #778876 is as yet unresolved after 2 months. I can't see any
>> discussion of this issue on this list or in the linux-image changelog
>> to explain its omission.
>
> Experimental kernels hardly ever get their kbuilds uploaded, and even more
> rarely on a timely basis.
>
>> Obviously no DKMS support is available "out of the box as a result of
>> this. The linux-image-3.19* and linux-headers-3.19* packages are all
>> available.
>
> If you need a newer kernel, you'd be better off using kernel-package
> instead.  This way you're not tied by uploads, while still keeping the
> benefits of dpkg.
>
> Or, you can wait as we can expect a new kernel in unstable soon.

Adam/James/Mateusz,

Thanks for the explanation and suggestions. I see that 4.0.2-1 has
just hit sid so I will play with that. I'd previously installed 3.17
from experimental which came with all 'normal' support packages, so
foolishly assumed 3.19 would too...

I note that there are still some 3.18-related packages available in
experimental, despite both the 3.18 and 3.19 kernels being removed. Do
those require manual intervention to be deleted?

Thanks,
Nick