Re: The future of MariaDB

Hello David,

Sorry for the long delay in the reply, this list has so much traffic
that I cannot follow it normally.

> The latest version of libmariadb in Debian no longer works as a drop-in
> replacement for MySQL. The library's name and include path has changed
> from mysql to mariadb. While I don't have a problem with someone trying
> to use their own name, it means that build scripts relying on
> mysql_config and code looking for mysql/mysql.h will break with the new
> version. Because of this, I'm considering dropping support in my
> software for MariaDB, since they have moved away from their original
> purpose.

The MariaDB version of the libmysqlclient18 package is not in Debian
because I've been told that having two packages that provide the same
library (soname) is strictly against the policy. The libmysqlclient18
from MariaDB *is* a drop-in replacement for the Oracle one, but it
isn't available in Debian. You can download it pre-compiled for Debian
from MariaDB.org.

The problem you have saw is most likely is because you tried to use
the MariaDB Connector for C. It is an LGPL licensed library that does
share any code with the GPL licensed libmysqlclient18 library. The ABI
they provide is somewhat similar because the use case dictates so, but
the library in question is in not supposed to be a drop-in replacement
for libmysqlclient18.

I you still feel you used libmariadb2 to something it should do,
please file a bug and explain the issue in detail.

For details see
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libmysqlclient18
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libmariadb2

I have helped with the packaging of both but I don't maintain either.

Everything that comes from the mariadb-10.0 source package is a
drop-in replacement, and I am glad to help with any issues you have
regarding those packages.

Regards,

Otto