Re: Q: why binary-log by systemd-journald is not enabled by default?

On Sat, 9 May 2015 10:41:17 -0700
Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
> The in-memory non-persistent journal (/run/log/journal) is enabled; if
> you run journalctl you can see the logs from the current boot.

 I cannot see any messages with just invoke journalctl, but can see it
 with sudo. Probably it's intended behavior since /var/log/dmesg is same.

> The on-disk persistent journal (/var/log/journal) is disabled because at
> the moment, Debian systems use syslog by default (via rsyslog), and
> enabling the persistent journal would result in two copies of log
> messages.

 Okay. But it may be better to note its limitation for systemd-lournald
 in Jessie's release note since other systemd system doesn't have such
 thing.

> Since the journal is capable of capturing messages sent to syslog, I'm
> hoping that at some point the systemd source package will build a binary
> package that installs /var/log/journal and Provides the
> system-log-daemon and linux-kernel-log-daemon virtual packages.  (As
> well as a non-default one that provides the same virtual packages but
> doesn't provide the persistent journal directory, for systems that want
> transient in-memory logging only.)

 Probably it's one of the goal for Stretch.

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/org
 http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane